Quick pick for combination locks

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
NewbieNinja

Quick pick for combination locks

Post by NewbieNinja » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:58 pm

I just saw this on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/UhNvC38C2FU

The pick he shows is really thin, but I think he said it will work with them hooks that come in lockpick sets.

Takes like 2 seconds.

Xanatos

Re: Quick pick for combination locks

Post by Xanatos » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:52 am

Looks like it'll work with a hairpin or safety pin, although you wouldn't get as much leverage as a flat piece of metal. I haven't come across those types of lock before, but that's a neat trick to keep in mind.

Actually, now that I think of it, I may have come across those types of locks before... on a recent op in fact.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

NewbieNinja

Post by NewbieNinja » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:39 am

I just realized that some of the retailers around here use these locks.

I haven't tested it yet, but it seems really quick... quick enough to use with no one noticing.
Hmmm......

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:23 pm

That's more conveniently known as a Feeler Gauge, i.e. a Katana pick (or knife, depending where you come from) with a 0.012 inch thick feeler gauge stock. Good material is expensive, sometimes up to 20$ a pick if you want to use it multiple times, so you'll be better off buying your own feeler stock and making your own. If you're aiming to decode masters, you'll need a tin can and some scissors to make the tool. As the price range of the lock goes up, the machining tolerances go down. Everything becomes harder to work with. Anything German or Swedish is too tight for tin foil to squeeze in, but on the other hand, Chinese combo locks are fairly intuitive. On some, you can even see the gates as they set. This still involves you taking your time to feel, listen, and actually decode the lock - so don't get all bright eyed and bushy tailed thinking it's fast-track entry.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.