What then?

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
CookieThief

What then?

Post by CookieThief » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:52 pm

When you op it is a good idea to wear a face mask, but what happens when a security camera has an image of you in your opping gear? I worry that a masked person trespassing would cause some interest to the blues. Do you get rid of your gear, hide or destroy it?. How long do you wait till everything cools down?
The world is dark until your eyes adjust.

Xanatos

Re: What then?

Post by Xanatos » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:22 am

As opposed to trespassing without a mask? If you're caught trespassing it's gonna draw interest one way or the other, best if that interest doesn't lead right to your doorstep.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

noone

Post by noone » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:43 pm

I suppose a person dressed casually caught on a security footage could be shrugged off as another idiot who decided to go through someone's private property, if nothing went missing and the place isn't exactly high security, whereas a person in full ninja gear is going to attract significantly more attention.

Still, as long as your gear doesn't have something that makes it easily identifiable, i don't think you should be worried about it. At least not more than that you were caught by a security camera in the first place.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:51 pm

Attempt to avoid being spotted by cameras of any sort. How's that for a solution?
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:11 pm

Lynx and Xanatos have it down. Proper assessing and avoiding of security elements should always be the primary goal with your mask being more of insurance if you screw up somehow. Sure, being seen in full gear is definitely fishy especially if you're in an area they might wonder if you're planning to attack with the scares going on these days. But like Xanatos said, they might be interested but they won't have your face on camera. I know which I'd prefer. Unfortunately, you might not even realize you've been seen on camera at all depending on the situation. So you factor in things like "veteran's paranoia" especially if all of a sudden it just seems like there are more security elements in your area.

As for "how long" you should wait if you suspect you've brought down some heat upon yourself, that's a tricky question. I would steer clear of an area I think I may have stirred up for probably months while I go explore other things unless I felt the absolute NEED to continue pressing on with the objective. Give it time to be brushed off and not taken as seriously, but also keep in mind there may be other security elements now in play. More sensors and cameras, both video and motion detection (game cams).
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.