Need a reference

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Shade

Need a reference

Post by Shade » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:16 pm

I'm planning on getting my friend(s) into night ops, but I feel like I owe him a true explanation of what it IS. Any ideas? A video or something would be preferable, but I don't want it to be too long, so it's more to the point.

I don't plan on trespassing much, especially at first; just exploring silently. So not thieving and B&E, just exploration at night.

Oh, and also, what the lardsacks is this thingy? :roofburrito:

Xanatos

Re: Need a reference

Post by Xanatos » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:13 pm

That is a roof burrito, staple food of Night Ops.

Night Ops is basically UrbEx conducted under cover of darkness with an emphasis on stealth. Op videos can be found here: http://nightops.net/library.php?display=video
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Shade

Post by Shade » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:34 pm

Oh, It's be easier if it had a whole house under it. I see it now.

And good choice of words. Thanks!

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:48 pm

I know this will be somewhat long, but to me night ops has always been an expression of freedom. It's like a night time parallel dimension you cross into where the risks are high but you maximize your training to mitigate them. There's no obligation to ANYTHING out there, it's just you, the objective, and everything you've learned. Sometimes, there's no objective at all. You're out there because it feels free. Nobody is going to stop you, nobody is going to tell you that you can't be somewhere. It's a completely different world, even the same places you've been in the day become exciting when you are a shadow amongst the scenery. It's empowering.

People often want to ask what the difference is between night ops and urbex, or for the thieves out there; night ops and car shopping. Or just plain burglary. It's the feeling of absolute freedom, granted to you by your skills that you develop. You can do ANYTHING. You may have an objective at hand, and it might include exploring, but you've got the knowledge to branch off and do something else at a moments notice. You can compensate for not having the perfect plans. You're prepared for shit to hit the fan, but often, much more often, it never does because you've learned to make yourself invisible.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Shade

Post by Shade » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Oh, good wording. Wonder how much I can shorten it without losing the thought. XD