Silently exiting the base?

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
NachtReiter

Silently exiting the base?

Post by NachtReiter » Fri May 23, 2014 6:47 pm

The problem I have which is bigger than any other is trying to get out of my house silently. The doors are all so damn loud! The sliding screen door in the rear sounds like peeling duct tape when you first open it, and the front door, although rather quiet, has characteristic sounds such that you know exactly what door is opening - plus the screen door beyond it sticks a bit, so that when you push it open, there's a rather loud pop - and my mother's window is right above that door.

I thought of climbing out my window but I would have to climb down the roof and front porch right next to my mother's window. Bad idea.

The various windows are either too high, too small, or in a bad place to provide good exits.

Any thoughts? I did get out through the back door once before - if I could be sure she were asleep, it would be easy, but she wakes up at random and there's no way to know when that will be, and if she were awake, I'm not sure she wouldn't hear the sounds.

Thanks a lot, folks,
-NachtReiter
When the Sun falls below the horizon, the door of the world is unlocked to those who know how to open it.

Lynx

Re: Silently exiting the base?

Post by Lynx » Fri May 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Hmmm... that sucks. I have similar problems.

You don't happen to have a friend who you can stay overnight with? That's the only way i get to do big ops nowadays.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

NachtReiter

Post by NachtReiter » Fri May 23, 2014 7:26 pm

Lynx wrote:Hmmm... that sucks. I have similar problems.

You don't happen to have a friend who you can stay overnight with? That's the only way i get to do big ops nowadays.
No, I don't have friends around here. I just did a bunch of testing though, and I think I'm gonna go with the front door. I can make it pretty damn quiet if I move slowly, and I can eliminate the "pop" on the screen door by lifting up on it as I open it. Tonight's run looks like a go.

-NachtReiter
When the Sun falls below the horizon, the door of the world is unlocked to those who know how to open it.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat May 24, 2014 2:31 am

Oil those hinges and turn the lock softly. That should do the trick. Grab some WD40 and you're away.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.