Defense against Aggressive Dogs

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Woden

Defense against Aggressive Dogs

Post by Woden » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:43 pm

A friend once told me of a time he was being pursued by a K9 unit. Well, to cut a long story short he had a police dog catching up with him and handler not far behind. He made a bad judgement and attempted to jump a wall that was just that little bit to high and failed his first attempt. Thinking quick he realized that there was no time for a second attempt so he quickly got out his pepper spray and turned straight towards the incoming German Shepard 'Ttssssssss' the dog instantly backed off and ran in the opposite direction shortly after followed by his handler and his now not so scary ASP baton. :D

I have seen many instances, mostly on video off dogs reaction to pepper spray and apart from the obvious I have noticed that dogs do not bark, yelp or make any other loud noises once sprayed with pepper spray. In fact they remain rather quiet so this may also be effective against guard dogs!

Videos: Dogs vs Pepper Spray

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDUC7oFVYB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmxMnMxZ4GQ
^^ After a quick search I can't seem to find many of the video's I have seen before but you get the point.

I highly recommend pepper spray against dogs. It is quiet and effective. Be aware that CS gas (Tear Gas) is nowhere near as effective against dogs.

Anyway I am sure most of you are aware of the effectiveness of pepper spray against dogs. I suppose the real reason I am making this thread is to point out that 95-99%? of dogs that are sprayed with pepper spray remain quiet! I do not know off any more practical way to silence a dog without killing it.

Now for the more physical...

For this I am going to presume that you are unarmed, at least for the most part of what follows.

Also I must add that I am no expert or professional dog fighter. I am also not a professional writer so excuse me if I am not very clear.

If you are in a situation were a dog is going to bite you it is best to give the dog your forearm. If you are right handed give it your left forearm and vice versa. You need to make sure it bites down on the sides of your forearm to avoid damage to arteries. Obviously if possible wrap your forearm with some type of protection/armor beforehand. It is best to give the dog your forearm to avoid being clamped on the throat or legs that will put you in a major disadvantage. Once the dog has clamped down on your forearm sideways (hopefully) it is important to not resist with that arm as you will only cause yourself more damage. Dogs have massive resistance to things being pulled out of there teeth. Struggling or trying to pull your arm out of a dogs mouth is inefficient and by doing so you are attacking the dogs strong point.

If you do have a weapon such as a knife it would be ideal to slit its throat now. :D

If not here are a few things you can do unarmed. In no order of importance.

1. Whilst the dog is clamped on to your left forearm place your right forearm behind its head on the back of the neck, with speed and force simultaneously push left arm forward (Away from you) while snapping your right arm back (Towards you) to break the dogs neck.

2. Gauge eye's with thumb

3. Punch the throat or choke dog until it passes out.

4. Push other hand down dogs throat as if your trying to go right through and out the arse to get the dog to release its grip. (This is better done when you are getting a dog to release its grip on someone else)

5. Strike a dogs 'armpits' this is a weakspot of a dog and can easily cause damage.

Also if you need to move to a safer location while the dog is still attached you can grab its back leg and with a swift up and across motion the dog should now be on its back. This also exposes many of the dogs weak spots. Thinking of using a stun gun or cattle prod? That is probably a bad idea, this will more than likely just piss the dog off more.

Now once again when I looked into ways to deter and defend against police (Aggressive) dogs pepper spray was always the best option. I watched many videos and saw in person that dogs sprayed with pepper spray remained fairly quiet, maybe 95-99%.

Well I hope I have helped, this is what I know when it comes to dogs.

Xanatos

Re: Defense against Aggressive Dogs

Post by Xanatos » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:49 pm

The topic of dogs has come up more than once, but so far nobody's found a foolproof way to deal with them. Needless to say, in addition to the info posted above, you shouldn't try to outrun a dog as they are much faster than you. Although they aren't nearly as good climbers, so use obstacles to your advantage.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.