Setting off car alarms intentionally?

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
blackbear

Setting off car alarms intentionally?

Post by blackbear » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:18 am

So I was playing splinter cell: conviction the other day and you have the ability to intentionally set off car alarms to distract the enemies or even confuse them. Has anyone tried doing this to distract guards, civilians, etc?

Also, in the first Bourne movie, he sets off a bunch of car alarms simultaneously, again to confuse and distract. Any techniques for doing this electronically? I don't know much about how car alarms work so I honestly don't have a thought of how to do it.

Anyway, I just thought it was a cool idea to discuss. Any thoughts?
Spies aren’t trained to fight fair. Spies are trained to win.

Xanatos

Re: Setting off car alarms intentionally?

Post by Xanatos » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:43 am

I can only see this being done in an emergency situation when you have people looking for you, and even then the circumstances are quite strict. When you set off the car alarm you'll just be drawing attention to your location, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Getting inspiration from videogames & movies is all well and good - heck, stealth games were a huge catalyst for me - but please use your common sense above all else.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

blackbear

Post by blackbear » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:08 am

I live in an urban setting so car alarms going off is fairly common, I was thinking that if you were somehow able to remotely set off a car alarm it would draw everyone's eyes towards it allowing you to get past a fairly populated area without being seen. I guess it goes without saying that in a rural setting or even in a hostile AO you wouldn't want to do this as it would announce that something shady was going on.
Spies aren’t trained to fight fair. Spies are trained to win.

QuantumFisher

Post by QuantumFisher » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:29 pm

As you can see by looking at the above picture, there is many different sensors on a modern automobile that make up the alarm system. The alarm could be activated by bumping the glass, operating the door handle etc. Unless you had some kind of gun the could emit low frequency waves, then you are out of luck for a remote triggering of the system.

Also, there is a possibility that you won't be able to trigger the alarm the first time, so it is better to leave a tactic like this for emergency's only. It really is a last minute thing.

TheBurnedMan

Post by TheBurnedMan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:40 am

pellet gun.
or explosives, a loud bang will set off car alarms
but I think that would be distraction enough in itself.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:39 am

TheBurnedMan wrote:or explosives, a loud bang will set off car alarms
Get out.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

TheBurnedMan

Post by TheBurnedMan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:48 am

I agree that it is a terrible idea but I also think it could work, more of an amusing thought than an actual suggestion to clarify.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.

QuantumFisher

Post by QuantumFisher » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:47 am

TheBurnedMan wrote:pellet gun.
or explosives, a loud bang will set off car alarms
but I think that would be distraction enough in itself.
The pellet gun would damage the window, and that is something you don't want to do, and the same thing goes for explosives. Both items would get you reamed out if you you got caught using them, plus they they are not stealth like and attract attention, which is the opposite goal of the night operative.

Ultimately, as a night operative, you want to get in and get out undetected and without damaging anything as you are already breaking the law during your general night op activities. Start blowing up cars and damaging them and you're completely fucked if you do ever get caught.

TheBurnedMan

Post by TheBurnedMan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:04 pm

I agree it is not a very good idea, and blowing up cars is not what I meant, I was just trying to come up with ways to set them off remotely and was reminded of a time when a sonic boom set of literally every car alarm in the city

QuantumFisher

Post by QuantumFisher » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:28 am

TheBurnedMan wrote:I agree it is not a very good idea, and blowing up cars is not what I meant, I was just trying to come up with ways to set them off remotely and was reminded of a time when a sonic boom set of literally every car alarm in the city
If you really had to do it, you could build an explosive device with a remote detonator eg. a pre-paid phone. Either that or snipe the window with an air rifle. You have to remember that air rifles aren't soundless and do make a noise when fired which could give away your position.

I would go with the remote detonated explosive device. Just build it a small size and design it to tape to the window and shock the glass hard enough for it to set off the alarm, that way you'll be making it as efficient as possible without causing unnecessary damage.

I assume that the windows of most cars need quite a bit of shock to set off the alarm, so you would need something that has enough power. I would experiment with blasting caps and then go on from there, testing your shit until you figured out the how much force is needed to set the alarm off.

However, using a shock wave to set off an alarm may not work on all cars as the older alarms use pressure sensors (measuring interior air pressure) and mic's programmed to detect the pitch and volume of breaking glass. The newer cars would be easier as alot of them use motion and tilt sensors as well as sensitive shock sensors.

The most sure-fire way would be to develop a small but powerful blasting cap that would shatter the window. Because, ultimately, unless the window is being broken, there is a chance it may not work. Granted the explosion would attract attention, but it is no way as suspicious as a car alarm going off, which would ultimately attract more attention.

Electronically:

Some vehicles are equipped with remote systems that can be accessed via wifi like Webtech Plus, a system that allows dealers to disable non-paying customers vehicles. If you had a smart phone, you could probably hack the system as it has been done before.

Aside from that, I don't think it's possible electronically.
Last edited by QuantumFisher on Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:26 am

Aww shit, not another bawmb thread.

QuantumFisher

Post by QuantumFisher » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:36 am

Xanatos wrote:Aww shit, not another bawmb thread.
You know you like it. :D

Coryne

Post by Coryne » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Hey, that's cheating :D You are supposed to be unseen without stuff like that. Otherwise you could as well blow up power lines and op during total blackout of the city.

TheBurnedMan

Post by TheBurnedMan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:58 pm

ok fine, I guess this is out of the question for those pesky lights too, seriously though, the electronic method that was mentioned earlier in the thread seems like a viable option, and if you could get it to work the possibilities are mouthwatering, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqe6S6m73Zw

TheBurnedMan

Post by TheBurnedMan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:12 am

although in the video they are physically connected to the cars systems it has been shown previously that these systems can be accessed remotely in a variety of ways.

Marzka

Post by Marzka » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Do car alarms go off if you try to open the door? My parents' cars don't but I just want to make sure.
Nightops is gud, yo.

Poltergeist

Post by Poltergeist » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Well, you could maybe strategically place you car in a specific location if possible without looking out of place, then if needed, you could use your keychain thing to set it off if your key chain car locker unlocked does that, I have no clue what the thingy is but I think you get the idea.
Poltergeist
XS
Extra Stealth

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:56 am

I wouldn't use your own car for that sort of thing, since your car is usually the place you're trying to get to unnoticed and drawing attention there will only hinder that. Plus, if someone recognises your car or license plate, it'll just highlight the fact that you were there.

Woden

Post by Woden » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Would much rather use a slingshot with a bit of porcelain and smash a window for distraction. Would avoid doing this though and only if it was an emergency situation where I needed a distraction to escape. Bear in mind that there aren't always windows in sight.

It would be ideal to have something that can be used in every environment.

I suppose car alarms could be used, however only in a specific scenario where stealth is no longer an option. Actually I could imagine that being used well in certain urban environments that are highly populated. But how to set off an alarm without being near the car and leaving any damage?