The use of fire alarms in a sticky situation.

Tools and equipment to get the job done.

How useful do you find this?

a.)Applicably useful, In fact, I tried it or added it to my equipment.
20%
b.)Quite useful, I will be trying this soon.
No votes
c.)Useful, Great idea.
80%
d.)Tactically lacking, Why the heck would I use this?
No votes
e.)Purely Plebeian, What a stupid idea.
No votes

Total votes: 5

InShadowLies

The use of fire alarms in a sticky situation.

Post by InShadowLies » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:20 pm

While reading the posts about metsubishi-http://www.no.surgen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=782- I remembered a tool that has served me well in the past. A fine powder or dust such as chalk dust can be used in sticky situations to "test" (set off) fire alarms to create confusion. Once a fire alarm goes off in a building, the building must be evacuated and the ensuing crowds are handy to disappear into. This is more effective then simply pulling the fire alarm because it cannot be traced back to you if you are captured. It simply appears as a sensor malfunction and triggers the automatic alarm.
I find that it is most effective to roll a .25 inch diameter tube out of a piece of paper and bend the bottom quarter at a 90 degree angle (see attached diagram). Then the chalk dust can be poured into the top of the tube. The fold prevents the dust from falling out or getting in your mouth when you use it. To use it you simply walk under a smoke detector and blow into the bottom of the tube with one big puff. This should produce a cloud of dust that will set off the alarm. Exit the area immediately as you do not want to get caught near the "malfunctioning" sensor and proceed to leave the building in the chaos that ensues. Don't worry either, no one will stop you as you exit the building. After all, it might be on fire.

Additionally:
For all you rich or lazy people. An Aerosol can of testing spray can be bought at the following url http://www.amazon.com/Security-Smoke-Ca ... 872&sr=1-3 Just remember that if you are caught with this people might be a little less forgiving then if you are caught with some chalk dust.
Attachments
Dust.jpg
A diagram to make things clearer.

theconfusedone

Re: The use of fire alarms in a sticky situation.

Post by theconfusedone » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:39 pm

i am definately going to try this or at least carry that with me along with my metsubishi.
Does this work for those sprinkler-type fire alarms in schools? if so, where would i throw the dust to set those off? or are they only through pulling an alarm?

One BIG problem i could see with this is some fire alarms, when they go off (such as the one in my old school) send an SOS signal to the fire AND police department...
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -Siddhartha Gautama

The above post is completely hypothetical.

InShadowLies

Post by InShadowLies » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:32 am

It definitely works on school systems (handy way to get out of a test) the trick is figuring out which things on the ceilings are sensors and which ones are alarms or sprinklers (usually sprinklers don't go off unless heat causes the stopper vial to break).

And about the emergency squads..Yes it does call them.
I know at most buildings though the maintenance staff will check to see if there is an actual fire and if there isn't they call the Fire Dept. before they mobilize. It would depend on where you are located though, if the department is not volunteer they have a much quicker response time and might actually arrive before they could be notified of the malfunction.

But, if you really need to get away the more the merrier, Right?

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:11 pm

This sounds cool, only usable in buildings with lots of people through.

theconfusedone

Post by theconfusedone » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:23 pm

Hmm alright well during night ops i guess i could use it in a house just to scare the living shit out of people :lol:
It would be kinda hard to throw this up in the air in the middle of class and not be seen...
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -Siddhartha Gautama

The above post is completely hypothetical.

NINJAHAMMER

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:19 pm

This is an old post but I think this is absolutely brilliant InShadowLies. I remember in high school during gym class I was waiting in a hallway with an aluminum bat to go outside and play baseball. I saw the big red alarm bell in the hallway and playfully banged it a few times to cause it to ring. Years later I started researching spy techniques and remembered my high school prank and mainly focused on pull down fire alarms and how to remotely activate them and also how to cause a sprinkler to go off (powerful lasers, binary chemical mixture placed on wax sprinkler bulb that will ignite after a short while, etc) but I never considered smoke detectors. I was aware of the spray can smoke detector testers (think they use ozone or something) but the can is big and bulky and you don't want to leave a trace after setting off the alarm . I wonder if a drinking straw filled with pepper, flour, etc could work as an improvised technique in a kitchen or restaurant's smoke detector. Anyone else have any ideas on how to remotely trigger a fire alarm or smoke detector?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:18 pm

I thought fire alarms such as that were triggered by temperature? Hence the common depiction of setting them off with a lighter or match.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

NINJAHAMMER

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:27 am

Many sprinklers are set off by high temperature - the flames of a fire melt a bulb and this allows the water to escape from the pipe at that location. Smoke detectors monitor the air and use ionization or photoelectric principles to detect smoke or fog. I imagine that there are also fire alarm sensors that use heat or temperature to detect a fire and cause an alarm. This post seems to be concerned with smoke detectors and how to set one off without setting a fire, setting off a smoke bomb or using a can of ionized compressed air. I've seen movies where the hero holds a lighter or flaming papers up to a sprinkler head to melt the wax bulb (I recall Ben Affleck doing this in the movie Changing Lanes and Van Damm doing it perhaps on a train in a movie, I think by placing a cigarette so that it burns down and then burns the wax after a delay - side note : I think cigarettes now are made to burn out right away if not inhaled on), My interests are methods to cause fire alarms, smoke detectors and sprinklers to activate, with a delay or with improvised tools, and leaving no trace if possible. I work in a warehouse and have also considered methods of trip wiring the sprinkler head . . . for example, tying a fishing line to a sprinkler head wax plug and then to a door or pallet so that when it is opened or moved, it pulls the wax plug away from the sprinkler head. I think a taunt line with a fish hook around the plug may be a quick way to hook up the trip wire or perhaps a cheap keychain carabiner around the wax bulb.
Attachments
Sprinkler head.jpg
Sprinkler head.jpg (10.16 KiB) Viewed 14133 times