Radios/Walkie Talkies

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
fx1k

Radios/Walkie Talkies

Post by fx1k » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:31 am

For those that do team ops, on a scale of 1-10 how useful would you say it is to have a radio system?

Also, does the volume you need to use to communicate with the other person ever become a problem? Have you ever been detected because somebody heard your radio go off or heard you speaking into a radio?

Mr. Happy

Re: Radios/Walkie Talkies

Post by Mr. Happy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:23 am

this is what me and my friend use, its not this exact thing but its something like it.

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/produ ... THROAT+MIC

CXDBrightSide

Post by CXDBrightSide » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:31 pm

Mr. Happy wrote:this is what me and my friend use, its not this exact thing but its something like it.

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/produ ... THROAT+MIC
Yeah throat mic's and earbuds are the way to go. If you're wearing something over it, you can talk soft enough to not be detected and your teammate can still hear you. That, and no loud beeping when it goes off.
Scáth cheilt tú.

Mr. Happy

Post by Mr. Happy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:24 am

yeah they work really great, you can whisper super quietly and they still pick it up pretty good.

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:10 am

Just using the earbud's - built in mike I got with my HERO, stuffed the entire think under my balaclava, and it just works xD HTC earbuds ftw
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:05 am

Importance is really a 50/50 matter. Typically if I've got a two-man team, I keep everyone together and they're never needed.

BUT, if anyone ever splits up, radios are the most important thing to have. It extends your vision, so to speak. If anything comes up, they let you know and you can let them know. If they are caught, for all intents and purposes so are you because the mission is over. So it's just as valuable to be able to tell them things.

The most obvious scenario here is posting a lookout. In an E&E situation I think it's best to stick together. None of that "splitting up" shit you see in movies - statistically you are less likely to be seen because you're not in two areas and if the pursuer is just some guy you stand a much better chance of disabling him if need be.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.