An idea for how to blind cameras with out doing damage

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
CokeCanNinja

An idea for how to blind cameras with out doing damage

Post by CokeCanNinja » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Take a flexible tripod like this: http://www.tech-styling.com/wp-content/gorillapod.jpg and stick a small laser pointer to it, you can get <5mw ones for a few bucks. When you see a camera, attach the flexible tripod to something and shine the laser at its lens. I haven't tried this yet BTW, it's only an idea. Also, this probably won't work if someone is actively watching the cameras, but most people who do are not paying attention.

Dark Kaiser

Re: An idea for how to blind cameras with out doing damage

Post by Dark Kaiser » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:32 am

Why would you not want to damage the cameras? If you have to leave no trace, yeah, otherwise fuck big brother and fry the fuckers. Assuming they're 'government' cameras.
'A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.' - Churchill

Mr. Happy

Post by Mr. Happy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:37 am

you could attach a string to the tripod, so when you get past the view of the camera you can retrieve the laser and tripod.

killdozer

Post by killdozer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:44 am

I'm pretty sure one color can be edited out of the video feed to render this trick useless unless you bring a red, green, and blue laser.
----------------------------------------------------
Life bytes with a variety of sizes of teeth
(previously evil_0ne)
A.K.A porschenazi (tM)
R.I.P. Totse
-----------------------------------------------------

vonunov

Post by vonunov » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:43 am

Yeah, as I understand they could just edit the red out, and see the image anyway, albeit not in full color. If they cared that much. And shining a bright light into it probably doesn't work either. My cheap webcam can adjust to compensate for a bright flashlight shined directly into the lens so I imagine a security camera can.
Meet me down by the railroad track.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:43 am

I think it may be possible to blind certain cameras if you shine an IR spotlight into the lens. More discreet too since IR light is invisible to the human eye. Not too sure where you can get an IR spotlight though.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

InShadowLies

Post by InShadowLies » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Xanatos wrote:I think it may be possible to blind certain cameras if you shine an IR spotlight into the lens. More discreet too since IR light is invisible to the human eye. Not too sure where you can get an IR spotlight though.
Xanatos is definitely right. There are IR lasers that will blind a camera but they cost a ton of money. It is also important to note that many security cameras are IR enabled so the IR laser would be just like shining a regular laser into its lens.

Also shining an IR Laser into the camera has several problems: the camera can see you until you get the laser aimed correctly, you can't see if the laser is aimed correctly unless you have IR goggles or a camera, and anything coming between the laser and the camera instantly un-blinds the camera. It also can only blind one camera with one laser, and you might not know where all the cameras are.

A method that is easier to use is to wear high-brightness IR LEDs. This makes you appear as a giant glowing mass to the camera and even though it will still see you it will not be able to identify you. This seems more practical to me since it works on as many cameras as are in use, doesn't need to be aimed, and has no on-site setup time. It is also important to note that all you have to occlude is your face to keep your identity secret.

Ysidro

Post by Ysidro » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:22 pm

InShadowLies wrote:A method that is easier to use is to wear high-brightness IR LEDs.
The issue with this method is that you would become the equivalent of a lit-up Christmas tree trying to sneak around in the dark...
“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”
-Ben Franklin

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:22 am

InShadowLies wrote: A method that is easier to use is to wear high-brightness IR LEDs.
Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaIIswjQ8OA
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

InShadowLies

Post by InShadowLies » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:00 pm

Ysidro wrote:
InShadowLies wrote:A method that is easier to use is to wear high-brightness IR LEDs.
The issue with this method is that you would become the equivalent of a lit-up Christmas tree trying to sneak around in the dark...

Only to cameras or people with IR vision goggles. IR light can't be seen with the naked eye.
Last edited by InShadowLies on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InShadowLies

Post by InShadowLies » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Xanatos wrote:
InShadowLies wrote: A method that is easier to use is to wear high-brightness IR LEDs.
Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaIIswjQ8OA
Ya, but with more LED's so that your face is more obscured.

Ysidro

Post by Ysidro » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Ha sorry, I missed the IR part. I was just like, "why in the hell would you wear LEDs?" but that makes a little more sense.
“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”
-Ben Franklin

NINJAHAMMER

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:50 am

I've thought about this in the past and my brainstorming came up a few thoughts. It depends on if the camera is indoors (say an office or warehouse) or if it is outside. For indoors, I thought a camera may be "blocked" (not blinded) by balloons if the ceiling is low and the camera at the ceiling. Combined with some confetti, security may assume the office had a party and a balloon floated to in front of the camera but this ruse requires helium balloons and probably retarded guards - may work in a cheesy spy movie though. I do have a large IR lens that can be fit over a spotlight and it works well with IR scopes but does emit a faint red glow due to the power of a spotlight. For an outdoor camera, the IR spotlight may work , I'm not sure but one method of blocking (not blinding) the camera is a ripped up trash bag that is placed in front of the camera and appears to have blown there; of course this suggests that you can reach the outdoor camera with a ladder or expandable pole to place the "blown" obstruction. This idea can work with cameras that are placed on fences that have barbed or razor wire where the bag would get stuck. Other thoughts : water gun / super soaker firing water during a rain storm or paintball pellets.