Scrim net/Sniper veil

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Xanatos

Scrim net/Sniper veil

Post by Xanatos » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:23 pm

So I decided to get some scrim net to use as a head covering for the warmer months (since my shemagh & t-shirt can get pretty hot during summertime) and picked myself up a 1m² 100% cotton sniper veil in olive drab with brown splotches from my local surplus store, and I must say I'd highly suggest it to anyone for operations in warmer climates as it's ultra breathable and quite strong (and dirt-cheap; mine was $13 from a store known for its high prices). It's got the same versatility as a shemagh and can be worn in a variety of ways (scarf, sash, hood, face covering/mask, etc) or, due to its see-through nature, can be simply draped over the head. I tried tying it in the traditional shemagh face-covering fashion but with the material pulled down over my eyes - completely covering my head - and still had near-perfect visibility while still being able to breathe very easily. And while looking in the mirror I could barely see any skin, and that was up close under a bright florescent light. Due to the holes in the netting you could also improve the camouflage by sticking small bits of foliage through them, forming a makeshift ghillie veil. When wrapped up the material is thick enough to be used as a temporary field bandage.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

CXDBrightSide

Re: Scrim net/Sniper veil

Post by CXDBrightSide » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Very good idea, I'm definitely going to invest in two of these (A second one to hide and protect my loot on the way back from the op =P)
Scáth cheilt tú.

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:14 pm

Cool, I may try to make my own in a black/black splotchy camo pattern.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:58 am

It's 100% cotton, so you could probably buy some scrim net and dye/spray paint it to your preference. In fact I might do that with mine.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:44 am

Yep, I'm currently trying to get a full set of all weather camo in the pattern I described. I'm going to try to mkae a wool version of this for cooler times.