Scuba Dry Suit

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
joshvillen

Scuba Dry Suit

Post by joshvillen » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:45 pm

We all know the implications of being able to get around PIR motion detectors but I have yet to be satisfied with any of the common solututions. Mylar shielding is a little to "sketchy" in my opinion since you don't have much room for error, if you get to close to the sensor and accidently block a decent amount of the lense it goes off instantly, meaning you have to be as low to the ground as you can while also moving towards the sensor since it detects horizontal movement more readily. So, is there any chance that a Dry scuba suite (which is made specifically for deep sea diving in frigid temperatures) would work? By design it's whole purpose is to insulate and reflect your own heat back to you, obviously the longer you wear it the more heat will be transfered to the suite and the more it would begin to emit a signature but I don't see why this couldn't work.

Actually, to correct myself it's the undersuite that provides the thermal insulation. Any other ideas what types of clothing that would be capable of being utilized for this. Aerogel would be great but I can't seem to find any commercial distribution as of yet.

Xanatos

Re: Scuba Dry Suit

Post by Xanatos » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:40 pm

They tried that on Mythbusters, but to no avail. Although I think they used a wetsuit instead of a drysuit, so maybe that's a factor.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:24 pm

Hate to say it, but the mylar shield is your best bet. I didn't make that because I got bored. The reason you WANT to be low to the ground is so you don't block said heat sources, not because it helps block heat. It's not a requirement, if you were in a completely closed off room with no ambient heat sources, you could stand up and walk in front of the sensor all night. Your signature will be blocked regardless. And you can move in any direction you like. The lens is more sensitive to lateral movement (more specifically, the transistor inside will heat up faster), but only if there's heat associated with the lateral movement. You also don't have to get in the sensors face, in fact why would you want to?

The biggest problem with the mylar shield is simply getting into the room with the sensor in the first place without causing an alarm situation and really, that's going to be a huge problem no matter what you bring along.
Xanatos wrote:They tried that on Mythbusters, but to no avail. Although I think they used a wetsuit instead of a drysuit, so maybe that's a factor.
Doesn't matter, no material is 100% capable of resisting heat so anything you wear is still going to absorb heat and become it's own heat source to a sensor, unless you have a very sophisticated cooling system capable of regulating the surface temperature of a uniform which... well have fun with that.
That's why the shield was designed as it was. Corrugated cardboard vents what little contact you'll have with the material and the fact that it's a shield and not a uniform let's you keep a distance so your body heat simply radiates into the air which isn't going to heat up the area at a pace anywhere near fast enough for the sensor to detect.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:40 pm

AVE...

Using any thermal insulation suit will cause your body to overheat. And overheating might kill you. Shield is safer...
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Even though a Drysuit is made for diving in frigid temperatures, or for diving 'longer' (when you have to be in the water all day as an instructor, Trilaminate suits are still desireable.), they're not fucking spacesuits, in the long run, you still cool down in the suits. And not all dry suits actually protect you thermally.

Better yet, Tri- or Bi- laminate drysuits (or any other 'garbage bag' drysuit) don't even protect you thermally at all, but the reason they are filled with air (if your seals work) allows you to wear warm clothing under them. It's more so the clothing underneath that protects you. Most military drysuits are trilaminate (even though the creator of the most frequently used suits, DUI, gives them a fancy name, the principle still applies.)

Neoprene drysuits, made of usually 5 to 7 mm thick neoprene do protect you a lot better, and are actually made for cold water diving, but they constrict your movement insanely. There's also 2.5 to 4mm compressed neoprene should solve this a tad. But regardless, you're still one warm object, altogether, and after a while, you still lose heat to the water, in the same way, you will also lose heat to the air around you. Drysuits don't defeat PIR at all.

Perhaps a rubber dry suit (helmet diving suit) might work, but I still highly doubt it.
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!