The Tactical Folding Knife

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Anthony Sykes

The Tactical Folding Knife

Post by Anthony Sykes » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:51 am

This is something I have been toying with for a while... Here ya' go.

This write-up concerns two things: Fighting, and Night Opping. They are very close, first lets learn some basics.

Good Things to look for:
Blade shape of your preference: As far as certain blades being better for certain tasks, they are all basically equal, except: Tanto's are marginally better for prying, and if you need that 2% advantage, get a dedicated prybar, and don't look back, as they are a damn bitch to sharpen. Trust me. Avoid Sheepsfoot blades, or pointless blades, unless you are looking at a Civilian... Even then, very few people fit the mold for that knife... More on that later. I prefer drop points. But, some knives are great tantos, like the CQC-7
Opening Mechs: I avoid autos and assisted, due to the fact I don' Understand them, or care to do so. Plus, the locks become unreliable if the spring breaks. Happened to me once, and I am off of them. Try to get a thumbstud, disc, hole, or wave opener. I will teach you how to make a reliable wave. But later.
Locks: Axis lock: Bardown. Best lock.
Liner lock: Will eventually fail, unless an extremely class blade, like an Emerson. In general, avoid unless a high class company.
Frame lock: Good
Auto/Assisted locks: Unless reputable, avoid.
I don't want to cover all locks, but those are the most common.

Brands.
Best:
Benchmade
Emerson
Blackhawk (Stick to the Crucible folders)
Spyderco
ESEE
There are others, ask if you don't see a company
Good companies
Cold Steel (very good)
CRKT
SOG
Gerber (Eh)
Buck

Bad
Smith and wesson
Most knives not mentioned found in store cases, like Ozark trail

Usage.

Alright. My specialty here.

Grips: I'm not really gonna explain these, except reverse grip>Forward grip when in close quarters, except hold your elbow horizantal, and mae sure the majority of your stab doesn't com efrom your arm, but exploding forward and arms movement. Holding the edge in is my preference, to hook arms. Edge out is eh for slashing, as the slash can turn into a punch, or a glancing blow, easily.

Use slashes to clear out arms, and allow stabbing. Stabbing is superior to end a fight. Just look at bullets. Penetration>glance. Also, a 1.5" blade is sufficient penetrate into the stomach.

Targets:
Torso
Neck
Head (eh)
Armpit (collapse a lung, and it's an instant drop. It's happened to me before)

Instruction for use
Stab, keep stabbing, and don't stop stabbing. If a limb gets in the way:
If in reverse grip edge in: hook blade in, cant wrist, and rip. at a 45c while striking with live hand. /| is what it looks like, / is blade, clear with Live (empty) hand
If in FGED, slash downward at the arm, \| imagine starting at the top of that slash-mark. for RGEO slash upward.
If FGEU, same as above.

Past these concepts (stab. If interuppted, shear or slash the arm, then clear it while striking) very little else is need. When dueling, for a slash, burst in, and cut arm trap against your side, get stabby. For a satb, cut the arm, while moving in quartata (out of the way)

Methods of deployment.

"Inertia". Flick it. simply put. hold your knife. flick towards the blade, then pull the handle away. The movement should resemble moving the hump of a , whether flicking into reverse of forward. To go into RGEI, flick open, then close your fist, and roll the knife it RGEI.

Marble shoot. For a thumbstud. Bend your thumb at 90c, and shoot your thumb like a marble.

Wave tricks. For a small wave, try pulling through at forty five degrees.

To make a wave (I'm not explaining what it is, search emerson wave on youtube) get an eclip. Glue it around the thumbstud using crazy glue. Look here for inspiration http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=516296 but use glue, otherwise the e clip will slip.

Carry options

IWB
I prefer appendix for in waistband. By pressing the wave side of a knife into the waistband, you can do a wave opening with either hand, which is useful to access in a fight. This is good, but for a dedicated fighting folder.

3 and 9
Good, if you prefer it, but for the non fattehs, Appendix carry, when adapted, is great.

Try other clock positions. I use one o clock when in a bad neighborhood, pocket carry elsewise.

Care and feeding.
Oil: use mineral oil. I personally always over coat it, but that's just me. put on enough to cover the blade.
For shharpening: Get a mousepad, 800 and 1200 grit sandpaper. Run the knife in the direction OF THE SPINE. Very important, Don't drag it like you are cutting. Trust me. Use 50 strokes on 800, 70 on 1200. You will eventually get a feel for the strokes needed. The mousepad allows for a room of error. Try to keep a 20c angle
Stropping: Get a legal pad, and lightly move the blade like you would for sharpening, but only with the blades weight. Always, Always use twenty strokes each side.

Anything else you want to know?

CokeCanNinja

Re: The Tactical Folding Knife

Post by CokeCanNinja » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:28 am

I love tantos. The chisel tip is awesome, nearly unbreakable. You can "chew" threw a lot of stuff with them, however I don't like them as much on folders. Assisted knifes are pretty good, I like SOG knifes a lot.

Anthony Sykes

Post by Anthony Sykes » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:21 am

CokeCanNinja wrote: I don't like them as much on folders. Assisted knifes are pretty good, I like SOG knifes a lot.
True that. You really just don't have enough blade or tang to get the real advantages. If you like it, however, by all means go for it. For what you pay for, SOG is great. Their folding knives aren't original, and you get some lemons, but their bowies... now that's some knife.

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:42 am

Do you know if Cold Steel has any AO knifes?

Anthony Sykes

Post by Anthony Sykes » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:53 pm

I don't think that they have any in production or out of production.