obtaining gear

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
st3alth

obtaining gear

Post by st3alth » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:19 pm

how would i get gear, without alerting my parents? would an army surplus be good?

Legend

Re: obtaining gear

Post by Legend » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:48 pm

st3alth wrote:how would i get gear, without alerting my parents? would an army surplus be good?

You could go to a military-type store, there should be everything you need there. Most gear you can get at a Wal-Mart. Another possibility would be to rationalize getting gear, like saying it's for airsoft or paintball. Could you be more specific with what gear you're interested in?
Who dares wins!

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:59 pm

I used to keep a lot of my equipment in plain sight, having a "front" for most of the items, basically as Legend was saying. I'm fortunately enough, for example, to come from a hunting family so almost everything could be passed off as hunting gear. I was also into the outdoors so it could pass for that as well.

In your case, maybe you could purchase some camo under the guise of wanting it for paintball as mentioned. Cheap Halloween outfit. Pants just because you like the style.

A flashlight shouldn't draw suspicion.

Multi-tools are handy for lots of things, not just night ops. Maybe you could say you want one for compact bike repairs, messing with game consoles, your computer, they have unlimited uses. I actually have no idea if you need to be 18 to buy one in the US.

Anyways, if you want the purchase to go unnoticed, just go anywhere in person and pay in cash. Some things you'll probably either need to be 18 to buy or can't buy at all - namingly anything potentially deadly as a weapon (despite the fact just about anything can be). If you've got any older friends, talk them into making the purchase for you.
Just make sure everything you buy is for a good reason. You hear people like me for example talking about all kinds of gear but you really don't even need a lot of it. It's nice to have and if you've got it, great. But most of it isn't essential and you'll get by just fine without it.

If you've got dark shoes, dark blue or black jeans, a dark long sleeve, gloves, and a black shirt you can use as a mask - you are set.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:33 pm

A surplus place is great but prices are steep (but quality is awesome). Other than that, improvise, you don't need the latest hi-tech James Bond wetsuit to sneak into a yard. Get gear according to your situation. If you can get online and have it shipped to a friend, that'll work too.

st3alth

Post by st3alth » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:36 pm

i have camo, but i was talking about the utilities like bolt cutters and the prying screwdrivers.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:50 pm

Go to a hardware store and just buy them. You'll probably find better deals on that sort of equipment than you would at a surplus shop, where such things are just "filler" merchandise. Find the youngest looking clerk and have them ring it up as they're the least likely to ask you a question. If they do ask what someone like you needs with bolt cutters, explain to them that you chained your bike to something and lost the key to the padlock so your Dad or whoever is having you buy the bolt cutters.

As for a screwdriver, I highly recommend getting a good, double handed screwdriver if you want it for brute force use. Don't settle for cheap bargain priced crap. You'll see why when you're picking plastic splinters out of your hand after the plastic handle busts apart. Again, these are going to be in hardware stores. If you can't find a double hander, just find some big single handed one. I've found that the best quality ones have a hexagonal shaft.

Alternatively, depending on your moral standards, you might be able to pluck one out of a garage or other location people have their tools.

Oh, and yard sales can be absolute goldmines for good tools and equipment on the cheap, so check out your newspapers whenever the weather is good.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

st3alth

Post by st3alth » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:18 am

thanks. ill keep this all in mind.

Mr. Happy

Post by Mr. Happy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:09 pm

If you want to get stuff off the internet you can get a green dot card..... its the same principle as a credit card, but you use it more like paypall