Red??

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
stealththief

Red??

Post by stealththief » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:20 pm

I've heard and read a few people talking about sneaking around in red or dark red because it turns black in the dark, I've never heard of this and was wondering if any one has any experience with this. I field tested it and had someone rate visibility indoors and seems it's not as good as dark blue. Also a side by side says it's not as good as dark blue either. Any one know why people push dark red or red as a sneaking color?

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:48 am

In theory maroon or dark red would work great while you're in the dark or concealed in shadows, but the most important thing to remember is that's not why you wear camo. You want to choose your clothing for those situations where you won't be concealed by light/dark, cover, foliage, ect.

This is why i don't like wearing navy blue - unless you're opping in the middle of a lake, it's not a natural color, and it will draw attention when light hits it. same with red.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:27 am

I know I'm being incredibly redundant here, but that's how I've always felt. Always dress to blend in the light, because if it's dark enough, a pink "hello kitty" jumpsuit is going to blend in as well as anything else. Hiding is much more critical when there's light.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:37 pm

Thanks, made me think a bit about camouflage, I'm usually in the dark but I'm gonna consider light a lot more now.

Red Silhouette

Post by Red Silhouette » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:51 am

Of course it also depends on your environment. Dark red gets the attention it does because it doesn't penetrate air as much as anything else. So, red would be better when the only people looking at you would be farther away.

If you're in a close proximity area, like a con. site, then dark blue/grey is going to be better.
Formerly Silhouette
-=-
Just a lost soul searching for purpose

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:34 pm

Red Silhouette wrote:Of course it also depends on your environment. Dark red gets the attention it does because it doesn't penetrate air as much as anything else. So, red would be better when the only people looking at you would be farther away.

If you're in a close proximity area, like a con. site, then dark blue/grey is going to be better.
It's a distance thing too then? Didn't know that. Good to know, but for long range stuff I'd rather wear some camouflage.

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:59 pm

the thing with red is, for as far as I know, that moon/starlight only reflects little of it, because it's mostly blueish, Red would only pop out once one nears artificial light like a lamp or even a torch.

There's a story that ninja's (I know, it's only a story, I'm not claiming it's true, but the theory is there!) Used to wear Red and Pink clothing sometimes. Because, by walking from the moonlight into torchlight, something a red creature the size of a human would jump out from nothing, fearing the enemies.

I'd go with dressing for the environment, or possibly even simply 'social camo'.
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

NINJAHAMMER

Re: Red??

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:41 am

This may be leaning toward the spy / modern ninja field ( but that's what I study ) but for an urban operation, maroon or dark red can be perfect. The main reason is that after the operation and when walking along the streets past people or police, they won't notice that you are covered in your enemy's blood. Now this is more practical for wet work during Day Ops but it could be an argument for red and maroon clothing.

Xanatos

Re: Red??

Post by Xanatos » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:57 am

Bloodstains still show up on red clothing, and I wouldn't use it for SE either since red is a very bold colour. Best to wear more neutral monotones and washed-out blues, greens and other common colours. Try to avoid anything bright & catchy.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.