Repurposing ACU / UCP Gear

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Psychlonic

Re: Repurposing ACU / UCP Gear

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:18 pm

A lot of times, an acidic additive is needed to dye nylon based equipment. I've read that a lot of people just use white vinegar for this with great success. One should also wash a dyed article afterward once or twice to remove and excess dye, lest it possibly ruin other clothing or equipment if it gets wet and bleeds.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:25 pm

I use dye for cotton and spray paint for everything else. You can also try brown dye for ACU to get a sort of desert/dead vegetation colour scheme.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:14 pm

Shattered wrote:^I did try a vinegar dye-bath, but it still wouldn't soak in. Perhaps it needed triple the dye concentration. Oh, well.
Yeah I don't know the exact formula for success, I dyed a pair of ACUs myself a long time ago and that was the end of my dyeing adventures. I know it can be done but I don't know how much of what you need to use.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:19 am

I usually try to avoid dyeing synthetic materials. Even with proper polymer dye the stuff never completely washes out and you always wind up with darkened skin as a result.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

mib

Post by mib » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:40 am

picture?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:50 am

If you were going for a subdued urban look on the black one, I suggest only using half the amount of dye to 'darken' the shade rather than completely obscure the pattern. Did that with my Australian pattern and it turned out great.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 am

Subdued urban? Looks like solid black to me.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:41 pm

I can kinda see the pattern, although it's so subdued it's practically black anyway.