The use of optics during ops

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Spooky Alien

The use of optics during ops

Post by Spooky Alien » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:21 am

What does everyone use for visual aid when it comes to far away obstacles and such. How do they perform? Where can you get them from? Sight is an important sense to utilise while on ops, aside from sound and to an extent touch, and I’m curious on everyone’s thoughts on this topic.
Last edited by Spooky Alien on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The safest route between two points is a shadowy line.”

Xanatos

Re: Optics during ops

Post by Xanatos » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:04 am

Most of my targets are within areas I can discern easily with the naked eye, but for longer range ops or when I need to see finer details I sometimes carry a 10x monocular. They're fairly inexpensive, compact and provide a decent level of magnification for scouting purposes.

I had a set of Gen 0 NV goggles but they're really more trouble than they're worth. Bulky, heavy, they restrict your FoV dramatically and limit mobility. Higher quality NV equipment could probably yield better results, but given how expensive the technology is you really need to justify using it.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Spooky Alien

Re: The use of optics during ops

Post by Spooky Alien » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:40 am

Found my old cheap binoculars and dusted them off and tried them out. I remember why I put them down and never picked them back up again.
“The safest route between two points is a shadowy line.”

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:19 am

Usually high powered binoculars if I'm running initial recon on what would be a high risk target. They're too big to want to regular carry up close and anything smaller I find useless at night. A night vision monocular can also be useful for recon or finding your bearings but beyond that also becomes a liability to carry.

Your mileage may vary, but these days I'm all about carrying as little as possible and focusing on maximum mobility and concealment capability.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Haporal

Post by Haporal » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:27 pm

I've got a monocular from aliexpress and it performed ok so far, you won't see much in the dark of course but if you plan to recon on something enlighted it's very comfy.

Try to stay aware of your surrounding while doing this though, because you will lose your focus by using them for too long, i know there are also camera binocular on aliexpress but i don't know if they're worth something.