how do you conceal your eyes ? (+Ski Mask)

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Haporal

how do you conceal your eyes ? (+Ski Mask)

Postby Haporal » Fri May 12, 2017 9:32 pm

When you know that someone is coming close by and that you're going to get spotted, do you have a way to hide your eyes from that person's view ?

I was thinking about getting a ski mask to carry on my forehead just in case i'm going to get spotted, do you think it's a good idea ? and if not, how do you conceal your eyes ?

I know that i shouldn't think too much of getting busted because it would mean that i've done something wrong/stupid, but i can't just train on empty places my whole life for opping, and as i'm a bit of a noob, i suffer a lack of experience which need to be fixed by training at more living areas.

However, i think that a dark ski mask could be a good idea to accustom your eyes to dim light a bit before to actually go on your op.

I'm also afraid of the "might shine" effect of the mask's lenses, i don't want that ski mask the be the litlle detail that will make someone think that i'm worth investigating, so dunno...

Anyone already tried this before ?

Psychlonic

Re: how do you conceal your eyes ? (+Ski Mask)

Postby Psychlonic » Sat May 13, 2017 1:09 am

You really don't need any special gear for this, standard technique is to face your target, minimize your profile, and cover your eyes with your gloved hand, peering through the very tiny slots between your fingers to see. This typically involves laying face down on the ground, facing the threat. In this way are you small, completely covered in dark clothing/camo, but can still see and judge your next move based on what they do. This becomes a reactive game of sorts, doing nothing until absolutely necessary because if you psyche yourself out and think you've been had then proceed to stand up before sprinting away the whole situation is blown.

Another way to think about it, night ops are all about seeing anything but not letting anything see you. The further you can tip that visual scale in your advantage, the better you are doing. Obviously this applies to the other senses as well - particularly sound - but maintaining a sort of "visual superiority" over everything else is always top priority. Seeing threats well in advance will prevent you from having to go prone and looking through your gloves in the first place.
There is a difference between those who feel safest in the light and those who feel safest in the dark.

Xanatos

Postby Xanatos » Sat May 13, 2017 6:35 am

Hand in front of your face, like Psych said, or turn your head away from your opponent. Normally in such a situation I relax my eyelids a little so there's less of a shiny white surface exposed (or even close one eye entirely) and look at my opponent's torso or feet rather than their face. The human brain is amazingly good at perceiving faces & eyes, so if you make yours difficult to discern you're less likely to be noticed.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Haporal

Postby Haporal » Sat May 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Ok then, thank you for helping me out guys, i think my question is answered but can i still use them before going on an op to usure my eyes to dim light ? is it useful or is it some kind of "placebo" effect ?

Xanatos

Postby Xanatos » Sun May 14, 2017 5:43 am

I'm not sure what you mean here... you mean getting your eyes used to dim light? It's not so much a concern for me any more but I used to wear sunglasses when travelling to a target and taking them off before entering the AO. Makes a world of difference.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Haporal

Postby Haporal » Sun May 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Yeah, that's what in meant, thank you !

Return to Gear