Why isn't this website more popular?

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Totem

Why isn't this website more popular?

Post by Totem » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:56 pm

I know this might be a rude topic or even a taboo topic around here, but i feel as though these types of forums discussing these activities are quite inactive, and often users will make a post, be active then just drop straight off the map to never return again. I feel as though i might be one of those people. I remember in Zoklets 2000 prime time, with the forum being a buzz of insane activities and often media attention being a common pet peeve to the users. Im just wondering, did the fall of Totse and Zoklet cause mostly all of the users to just pick up their shit and leave to pursue more mature and boring adult activities?

Psychlonic

Re: Why isn't this website more popular?

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:28 pm

I've voiced concerns on this particular matter before. Fringe forums in general are a dying breed in fact the landscape of the internet is changing quickly. It's hard to pin down the precise causes, but I would say that Totse actually took quite awhile to become as popular as it was after 2000 all the way up until it closed up shop. When members scattered, many went to Zoklet which had already been in place then those who didn't care for the Zoklet members split off into other places such as Totse2 and Totse.info (now Totseans and a shell of its former self). Currently the only successor I'm aware of is niggasinspace which seems to be losing steam, but it has a similar atmosphere that Totse had.

As for us, it's obvious the inactivity is discouraging. I'm really the same way sometimes, it's fun to have back and forth discussions on things. A LOT of members here are simply getting older being at least in their mid-20s. I wrote the original version of Way of the Shadow back in 2004 so take a guess there.

There's a number of factors involved in the whole thing. The world is also slowly cracking down on people like us too, I think eventually if a site like this in particular hopes to thrive we'll need to be semi-hidden on the freenets at bare minimum with all members undergoing a mandatory PERSEC prep so they an adequately conceal their identities. I think then more members would speak candidly.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:44 pm

I suppose the habits of social media trump people's desire to engage in more 'manual' forums like this. As you can see we've got an old-school setup over here.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Totem

Post by Totem » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:02 pm

I have been thinking for the last few days of fully putting forward a production of a Zoklet like website, with a revamped website theme, a cool messenger similar to facebook's UI all with the ability to do things like have a main profile with uploaded pictures.

Seraphim

Post by Seraphim » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:32 am

I can only speak for myself, but I assume that many here would give a similar explanation.

I do not do ops frequently. I feel that the main reason people come here is to share op stories, not to brag, but rather to give details on their gear and tactics, what worked and what didn't, thereby allowing others to see from collective experience what works and what doesn't, so that they can refine their tactics and streamline their gear. Basically, if I haven't done an op that I feel the need to share, (or if I'm not planning an op), I forget to log in for a while.

I do want to change this, though. This is a small but strong community, and op-ing is about the only hobby I have due to me being a workaholic and working nights.