First op advice

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Seraphim

First op advice

Post by Seraphim » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:56 am

I'm doing my first op in a little over a week. I just got back from scouting the target area all the way up to where the actual deep shit will begin. I got there and exfiltratied successfully. I was not noticed at all. My clothing selection made me as invisible as I had hoped to be, and I successfully used the environment to my advantage. After all this, I feel confident enough to do the op, and I know I can pull it off.

For this op, I will include one other operative as an overlord, who operate from his car, and act as the driver to get me as near to the infiltration point as possible. He will be outfitted with a police scanner, map, and communication device.

Basically, I am asking for a recommendation on gear, but please add any relevant advice if you want.

I need:

-Good, cheap police scanner
-Good, not too bring red-beam flashlight
-Affordable 2-way radios that will accept a headset and have decent range

Thanks!

Xanatos

Re: First op advice

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:05 pm

I don't know much about police scanners or radios, but the red LED flashlights are available pretty much anywhere. Failing that, you can duct tape some red cellophane around the lens.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Seraphim

Post by Seraphim » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:45 pm

Xanatos wrote:I don't know much about police scanners or radios, but the red LED flashlights are available pretty much anywhere. Failing that, you can duct tape some red cellophane around the lens.
Looking back, that was a dumb thing for me to ask. I already found a light on Amazon that works perfectly for what I need. I guess I was just so hyped up after the scouting "op" that I wasn't thinking

CookieThief

Post by CookieThief » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:00 pm

Whats your load out (your gear)? For your first op planing is the best way to go. The way in, the way out, secondary routes, time frame, how much gear you need, what your goal is, etc. Go though every step and polish it as much as possible. Noise check your load out by putting it on jumping running and fix any noises, make sure your battery is new/full, and double check. Read way of the Shadow in the library it has a great section on planning. Oh yeah develop your night vision before leaving by sitting in a dark room for 20 to 30 mins and don't look directly at any light, sunglasses can can help preserve your night vision. As for your gear shopping list, look around online, read reviews, and test it if you buy anything.
The world is dark until your eyes adjust.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:21 am

Unfortunately a decent low-end scanner is still pretty spendy. I recommend a Uniden Bearcat portable, they usually run about $80 these days from a cursory Google search, but it's a proven brand and will put up with elements. Should also have a plug for an earpiece which is a must. Last thing you want is a bunch of squelch sounding off when you're hiding from a nearby person.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Seraphim

Post by Seraphim » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:22 am

CookieThief wrote:Whats your load out (your gear)? For your first op planing is the best way to go. The way in, the way out, secondary routes, time frame, how much gear you need, what your goal is, etc. Go though every step and polish it as much as possible. Noise check your load out by putting it on jumping running and fix any noises, make sure your battery is new/full, and double check. Read way of the Shadow in the library it has a great section on planning. Oh yeah develop your night vision before leaving by sitting in a dark room for 20 to 30 mins and don't look directly at any light, sunglasses can can help preserve your night vision. As for your gear shopping list, look around online, read reviews, and test it if you buy anything.
I'm going pretty light on this one. It won't involve much breaking, if at all. More of a trespassing/woods exploration op, with a few abandoned structures if I'm

-Leatherman fuse
-Buck Redpoint knife
-Kershaw k-tool (mainly for easily and rapidly removing sandspurs from clothing (or skin...)
-Red stick dive light similar or identical to this one: https://diveidc.com/assets/Lazer-Stik-L ... ck-Red.jpg To be used only when illumination is absolutely needed. Ideally it won't be activated at all.
-Black pants (the kind kids call "joggers" today)
-Grey shirt

That's all I have so far. I can easily carry it all on my person with no noise and without any extra gear to keep it secure. Another operative will be with me and will have a similar setup.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:06 am

No mask? Better have a mask on just in case.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.