Thoughts on gun control?

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
NewbieNinja

Thoughts on gun control?

Post by NewbieNinja » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:28 am

Hey just wanted to get ur guy's thoughts on gun control.
I used to be hardcore pro gun, now I really don't care... I'm actually leaning towards anti gun.... Only because I believe that anti gun laws make life easier for all N-oppers.

Ur guys' thoughts?

Xanatos

Re: Thoughts on gun control?

Post by Xanatos » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:11 am

It's a cultural problem, not a problem with guns themselves in the US. Sam Harris gives a pretty open discussion on gun control in the US: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0DYpaLgWIo
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Absent

Re: Thoughts on gun control?

Post by Absent » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:21 am

^ I agree with that.

Also, I don't think it's physically possible to "round up all the guns" in the United States and it'll only become more difficult into the future.
The courts would literally overflow if even a small percentage of people didn't give them up peacefully.
There are arguments that small tweaks to the gun control laws, like banning certain capacity magazines and such would be beneficial.
They might be, I don't know. Seems dubious. Probably better things we can do to curb gun deaths, especially since the vast majority of
gun deaths aren't going to occur due to high capacity magazine weapons. Probably mostly 9mm's or something.

Mass shootings are just a rare, more public event. Statistically, they don't add to gun deaths. Even if 100 people were to die in a mass shooting,
that's a drop in the bucket. Police alone killed nearly 1000 people in the U.S. during 2015. Mass shootings made up ~0.006% of all shooting incidents in 2015.
It's just a public face on the issue, and a relatively insignificant one at that. Most shootings are not high profile events, while mass shootings pull in the views.