Nyctophilia

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
CookieThief

Nyctophilia

Post by CookieThief » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:39 am

"Preference for the night or darkness" Google definition but you get the point. I would assume that we here at NO could relate to liking nighttime a bit more then others, if not we need a name change.
My question is why, why do we like the dark instead of the light. Why does anyone like it? Is is born or learned? Why do you like it? These are are some questions I found myself asking on my new years op (will post it later). Any personal or scientific answers (link and sources) would we awesome. I couldn't find any scientific data so I will just post my thoughts on the darkness and the night.

At night there are generally less people and dark places are the same. I feel I have the world to myself and I can be free to stop caring about other people, my appearance, their opinions and my normal "day" life. I op in a forest a lot to blow off steam since it is so easy for me to sneak around, even running without being see. Since I know it so well getting around is natural and almost effortless, while the daylight makes it feel different. During the day, without thinking I tend to step into the shadows cast by my surroundings. It calms me. Just being in my home with all the lights off,standing in the middle of the room letting my eyes adjust turning the black shapes sharper and clearer, seeing without being seen. I don't know why I am this way, but I am grateful that I am.

That is it for now, happy new years and happy opping!!!!!1
The world is dark until your eyes adjust.

Giraffe

Re: Nyctophilia

Post by Giraffe » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:39 am

I've got a feeling I'm ripping this off from somewhere, not sure where, but whatever.

The night makes the world more beautiful. It hides flaws, and shows you things you thing hidden by the daylight. You can see the stars, the city lights. You can go places you would never be able to go otherwise. Since you can't rely so heavily on your eyes you pay more attention to your other senses. You can taste the air, feel it crisp on you skin. It's fucking lovely.

Xanatos

Re: Nyctophilia

Post by Xanatos » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:56 pm

Basically the reasons stated above. I love the night for all the same reasons Giraffe & CookThief said; the world is mine. It's quiet, serene, deserted, safe, cool, beautiful and pleasant yet not totally devoid of risk & mystery. Even when I'm not 'out' in the night and am just chilling at home, I still prefer doing so at night as I genuinely feel like it's my time. I dread the days I have to wake up early in the morning and get restless when going to bed before midnight - I'm not afraid of the dark or anything of the sort, but I always just feel like I'm wasting time (similar to how people with day jobs take a nap in the afternoon and feel like they just wasted the whole day). My sleep schedule is quite adaptive though and so once I've concluded any day business I can instantly revert back to a nocturnal lifestyle, but it's still an irritating procedure. I've grown so accustomed to the dark now that I can't leave the house without sunglasses, such is my aversion to the light.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.