College and "higher" education

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
NewbieNinja

College and "higher" education

Post by NewbieNinja » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:10 am

I feel that college is a scam. I'm in two years, and I honestly feel haven't learned anything useful at all (I'm in US btw). I read somewhere that the education system was intended to turn ppl into worker drones.
Some ppl I know completed college already and say they don't remember anything from classes. I feel like college is all about getting that lil piece of paper at the end.

This is might be a weird topic for this site, but I rly look up to ur guys' opinions. I'd like to know what do u guys think?

NewbieNinja

Re: College and "higher" education

Post by NewbieNinja » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:48 am

Oh and another question. How would a college benefit a full time N-opper?
Right now I don't see any value in it, but maybe u guys can enlighten me?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:09 am

Having a higher education doesn't really help a night opper in any way other than having a more loose schedule for them to cram ops into. It all depends on what day job you want to get. I agree the education system in the US is bullshit, considering you have to spend the rest of your life paying for it, but nothing says you have to go to college.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

NewbieNinja

Post by NewbieNinja » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:07 pm

Thx Xana. I'm only going cuz I gotta use my GI bill somehow. If it weren't for the GI Bill, I'd skip college.

Absent

Post by Absent » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:41 am

It's probably a bit more useful for technical fields than softer sciences in terms of actual learning, but I'm a senior in computer science at a decent state institution and know better programmers who haven't stepped foot in any academic institutions past high school. Granted computer science isn't all programming. I think mainly credentials are what you get (and I think they're mostly worth it, economically) from an undergrad degree. Some learning seems inevitable from technical tracts but I wouldn't say they're absolutely necessary to do work in a technical field, or become knowledgeable. Usually self-starters with regard to programming or computer-science related fields do have gaps in their knowledge[1] of systems or lower level stuff, but those could be filled in if the person were interested / knew about them and were knowledgeable without college. They just generally tend to focus on the more interesting shit and ignore some of the more boring / tedious lower level stuff. I think higher level mathematics can change / enhance logical thinking, like it actually changes your brain.[2] But if you were interested, you could learn it without college.

For night ops, I don't really think there's a huge benefit besides possibly getting off easier in court (maybe?) or if you were to study like, geography or city planning or some other degree which could relate to navigation or environmental knowledge of some region.

[1] http://ask.slashdot.org/story/10/02/19/ ... rally-have
[2] http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/curricul ... _to_c.html