Martial Arts Thread

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Wiseau

Martial Arts Thread

Post by Wiseau » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:54 pm

For martial arts.

I practice Karate, Tai-Chi and what would best be described as a self-defence class. It would be impossible to say that all of these don't help with learning to remain stealthy via means of transferring and controlling balance in movement, amongst other things. Also particularly useful for... well, combat.

What about you guys? I've seen martial arts frequently mentioned around here with respect to night ops, but never really elaborated upon.

Xanatos

Re: Martial Arts Thread

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:25 am

I know a little of everything - well, not quite everything; I know a little Taekwando, Kung Fu, Ninjitsu, Silat, Muay Boran, Krav Maga and most recently Eskrima. However I've had no formal training in any discipline except a bit of Muay Thai now & then (modern sporting variant of Muay Boran) and am by no means an expert in any style. Since there's no 'One Fighting Style to rule them all', I like to familiarise myself with a number of disciplines to create my own hybrid system. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Martial arts isn't discussed as heavily on here as I would've hoped, since it does form an important part of an operative's skill repertoire. I include it alongside Parkour and the principles of stealth, these three preparing one for the fight, flight and stay-out-of-sight.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Zerg

Post by Zerg » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:36 pm

I was very heavily involved in Taekwondo for several years, but it became more about points and rules and flashy kicks after a while than self defense. That being said, the conditioning involved definitely served me well in many areas, not necessarily limited to martial arts. And the sport does develop powerful kicks. Taekwondo was the only martial art I had formal training in, but like Xanatos, I have picked up some principles of several martial arts along the way. While I probably wouldn't stand a chance against a veteran fighter, I think I know more about fighting than your average person.

Marzka

Post by Marzka » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:17 pm

I did Ninpo for about a year.

At the time I was annoyed about how we spent more time learning to bow in different ways than how to fight someone. Now when I think back on it, it was prety useful. I taught me how to roll properly in different directions, how to dodge a sword and generally increased my agility.
Nightops is gud, yo.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:49 pm

In my time studying the various forms of martial arts, I've come to realise something about weapons. Swords, daggers, staves, batons, spears, shields, nunchucks, shiruken, bows, pistols, rifles, chains, maces, warhammers, axes... these are not weapons. They are but tools and instruments.

Your arms, your legs, your body, your mind - these are your weapons.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:40 am

I have a fairly similar outlook, although I do not consider the mind a weapon.

Your mind is your will, the driving intelligence behind the conflict that will ultimately determine success or failure. Your arms, legs, body: these are what you use when you must physically force your will upon another. A weapon is a force multiplier, something to be used when whomever you would force your will upon is able to meet that force with an equal or greater force of their own.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:01 am

Psychological warfare and tactics are direct products of the mind, they can be learnt. Willpower lies a bit deeper and isn't something so easily taught.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:17 am

This is true, but both psychological warfare and tactics cannot be executed by the mind alone, unless you can think people to death. :P Anything that starts in the mind needs to be carried out by the body, hence why I don't view the mind by itself as a weapon. Alone, it can't accomplish anything. By directing the body, it can accomplish everything.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:59 am

Ghost wrote:This is true, but both psychological warfare and tactics cannot be executed by the mind alone, unless you can think people to death. :P
*concentrates* Hnnnnnng...!

Let me know if your arms fell off.

Wiseau

Post by Wiseau » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:31 pm

Xanatos wrote:
Ghost wrote:This is true, but both psychological warfare and tactics cannot be executed by the mind alone, unless you can think people to death. :P
*concentrates* Hnnnnnng...!

Let me know if your arms fell off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh-2b_VoG8U

Someone beat you both to it.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:29 am

Video terminated due to some third party shite.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sun May 11, 2014 9:16 pm

Reviving this thread, I'd like to continue the discussion.
Which martial art, or blend of, is best suited for rapid reaction and the production of maximum destructive force during the shortest amount of time?

I'd say the conditioning and philosophy of Kyokushin karate and the technique and hand speed of Wing Chun.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon May 12, 2014 6:01 am

Quick, on-the-spot self defence? Basically anything; most self defence disciplines are designed to deal with surprise attacks. Just remember that in a self defence situation, you don't want to deal "as much damage as possible", you want to deal enough damage for you to run away.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Mon May 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Xanatos wrote:Quick, on-the-spot self defence? Basically anything; most self defence disciplines are designed to deal with surprise attacks. Just remember that in a self defence situation, you don't want to deal "as much damage as possible", you want to deal enough damage for you to run away.
Not self defense. For quick, on the spot defense we have a 9mm and some parkour.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue May 13, 2014 8:37 am

In what context then do you need "rapid reaction and the production of maximum destructive force during the shortest amount of time", then? Barehanded assassination?

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Wed May 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Xanatos wrote:In what context then do you need "rapid reaction and the production of maximum destructive force during the shortest amount of time", then? Barehanded assassination?
Making sure someone doesn't want to attack you again.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu May 15, 2014 6:22 am

Right, self defence. To prevent someone attacking you again. You're not always going to be carrying a 9mm or be able to run away, which is what self defence martial arts prepare you for.