Augmented reality Night Ops game

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
graph

Augmented reality Night Ops game

Post by graph » Tue May 07, 2013 7:34 pm

So have you guys heard of this game called Ingress? It's an Android app that uses augmented reality for your smart phone. Basically, it turns the real world into a game and you go around in real life and hack portals and shit.

Now what if we take the general concept, give it legal disregard and feed it a little meth, to come up with an augmented reality app for opping? Imagine we take the truth or dare idea and the Ingress idea, and you could get a bad-ass game where operatives aim to infiltrate a particular target, thereby completing the dare. Once this is done they get points to set similarly difficult dares for other operatives to complete. All highly illegal, of course, and posing significant issues - but I'm sure this community is small enough for something like this to work - at least in some capacity.

Now the goals also need not be related to opping. Man, imagine we made an app for graffiti. You get points in the game by completing missions. Missions are defined by doing a particular piece of urban tagging containing your unique message and submitting a photo of your finished work to verify completion. Once verified, you get points and become an adjudicator for someone else allowing you to set a challenge. Hence self-regulating. Augmented reality is fucking kick-ass and takes us to the whole next level. It works so well for like every crime, this is Totse 2.0.

Another thing, we could have more personal goals to complete for the game - kind of like quests. This would be a non-competitive or collaborative version of dares, but I suppose a more diverse variety. It wouldn't be so strictly based on simply getting to a place. It would be more like "complete a 5 mile run in under ... minutes" under the fitness challenges or "ask a hot girl to a date" under psychology. The tasks also wouldn't be so verifiable - they wouldn't need to be since you would only be cheating yourself which doesn't make much sense.

The advantage of the above system is we could actually map out a real life skill tree relating to operating. Traversing the skill tree would therefore show new operatives what they know, what they don't know, and things they could/should know depending on hierarchy and position in the tree. Very useful. Now combine the skill tree with interactive field guides on operating with tutorials and helpful advice and you have yourself a world-class knowledge system and perhaps the most awesome app ever fucking made.

What do you think Nightops? What concepts would make for a kick-ass app for opping? Share any related ideas and concepts. Let's brain storm some awesome shit and I'll start working on the best idea.

Edit: Feel free to suggest other ideas for augmented reality apps. Be creative. This has genre has such huge potential The graffiti app was an example.

Disclaimer: My coding skills are god-like as are my entrepreneurial abilities. I can make this shit if we define it and it will be successful.

Ghost

Re: Augmented reality Night Ops game

Post by Ghost » Wed May 08, 2013 12:43 pm

I'm not familiar with Ingress, but the idea sounds very interesting. I'll download it and give it a shot.

While I agree that there's a lot of potential here, the legal issues are going to be the biggest hurdle. Imagine some idiot kid goes out and gets caught while doing one of these, and it comes out that "the app told me to do it". As the potential creator for something like this, you would have to be very careful. I'm sure there are ways to get your app out there anonymously, but it's still a big hang up.

Also, I don't know many people who op with a phone these days. Location services are pretty accurate, and carrying one can literally be all law enforcement needs to put you in the right place at the right time, should something go wrong and law enforcement gets involved.

Those are the two main issues I see, and while they're both kind of a big deal, I'm also curious as to what other people think, and if this would be possible to pull off in such a way that is relatively "safe" for oppers, as well as for the would-be creator.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Thu May 09, 2013 1:44 am

I absolutely love this idea. My only question is how familiar are you with the skills of night opping itself? I am quite positive a few of us could come up with a comprehensive list of skills and create branches that increase in difficulty to show how well the oppers are growing. I guess in the end I will need to download the app to see what we're working with.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

graph

Post by graph » Sat May 11, 2013 3:26 pm

Teutoni wrote:I absolutely love this idea. My only question is how familiar are you with the skills of night opping itself? I am quite positive a few of us could come up with a comprehensive list of skills and create branches that increase in difficulty to show how well the oppers are growing. I guess in the end I will need to download the app to see what we're working with.
If you're happy to help that would be great. I just wish this forum was more active. From what I see there are like 3 active members.

graph

Post by graph » Sat May 11, 2013 3:30 pm

I'm extremely interested in using augmented reality like this as a vehicle for personal growth.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat May 11, 2013 7:12 pm

graph wrote:
Teutoni wrote:I absolutely love this idea. My only question is how familiar are you with the skills of night opping itself? I am quite positive a few of us could come up with a comprehensive list of skills and create branches that increase in difficulty to show how well the oppers are growing. I guess in the end I will need to download the app to see what we're working with.
If you're happy to help that would be great. I just wish this forum was more active. From what I see there are like 3 active members.
There's a couple more than that, lol. If you have the time, try lurking the chat for a bit. Many of us sign in there randomly throughout the day, and there's usually some good conversation to be had.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Mon May 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Graph, pm me with what you have so far and do as Ghost said. Hang out in chat and you'll grab a few of us in there.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:41 am

i love the idea, any way i can help let me know, and there are more active members than that,
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:43 am

Is this idea going anywhere at all?
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:02 am

Oh look, there it is, right next to the 'Hitting up Kmart' plan.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

graph

Post by graph » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:40 am

Sorry, I got distracted by other things. I am still interested in doing something with this.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:36 pm

Glad to see there is still interest in this. We'll have to organize a time to meet up in the chat and see if we can get the ball rolling here.

Pyroguy

Post by Pyroguy » Sat May 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Please do this.