Opping Smell

There is no specific subject for this forum, talk about whatever you want.
Xanatos

Opping Smell

Post by Xanatos » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Does anyone else love that smell of well-seasoned gear? That essence of the night air that seeps into your clothes, the early morning dew that soaks your boots & trousers, the scent on your gloves that tell of everywhere you have been, the fragrance of every breath drawn through your mask... does anyone else enjoy that unique aroma or is it just me?
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Captain Winky

Re: Opping Smell

Post by Captain Winky » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:56 pm

I use some old army stuff... to be quite honest, it doesn't really smell like midnight, but it does smell a lot like subdued dirt and sweat.
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:54 am

Hmm, I guess since I never wash my opping gear it smells of wherever I've been. I was dong some gear inspection the other day and the smell was unmistakable.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:45 pm

Xanatos, i know exactly what you mean. there is definitely an "opping smell" that clings to unwashed gear. some combination of freshly cut grass, dew, and damp earth. With a hint of rain. I only try to wash mine when i need to, because i think that the "natural" smell to it goes a long way towards blending you in. If you've ever listened to a sniper talk about woodcraft, believe it or not your smell can be a huge factor in helping you hide. smelling like the environment instead of like a person is just another tool. Of course, once my gear starts smelling sweaty, i'll wash it immediately, because sweat can give you away just as much as scented detergent or antiperspirant.

I like the way the air smells on a hot summer night when you're out opping. It's pretty similar to the "gear" smell, but a little bit fresher.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:07 pm

I find a good alternative to washing your gear is to just let it 'air out' instead. Unless you happened to be crawling through a sewer and got covered in shit or something, in which case washing would be recommended.